Monthly Archives: October 2012

2012-10-27 from Harvey A Vasquez on Vimeo.


Last weekend, me and Dougall planned to build a Mini power from scratch.
The schematic was from Ken Stone of CGS fame:
Linear schematic
The inspiration for the build was from Tom Bugs’ Mini Power Module:
Mini Power

The build started early at 11 am we met at Sim Lim Tower to haul in the parts. We were buying for two sets as Dougall wanted to build together with me. I say a great idea as I don’t think I will be able to build this myself.

We did have to make a second trip in the afternoon for a late lunch as well as to pick up a few parts that was mistakenly given to us. The build went slow, as Dougall was guiding me along the way alternating with the soldering. We did not buy a ready made PCB so we had to make it from a perforated board. It was good in a way as we were forced to slow down and try to understand the schematics of the circuit. But really difficult and time consuming especially for a beginner like me. In the end it was well worth it.

The day ended with an almost finished build except for the paneling, so I had to come back in the afternoon of the next day to finish it up. The panels were made from the free bug blanks that Tom has supplied to me when I first bought the frame. It was of a PCB material and I thought to myself this will be easy to drill. Man I was wrong! as the PCB was thick and was not as easy as I was thinking. This got me seriously thinking about the direction I want to take in my other DIY panels. Although the panels looked great together with the other panel as they have the same thickness and matching blue colors.

Anyway it was a fruitful weekend as I was able to come home with new power supply for my frame which then will be converted into a skiff as in when I eventually have my cabinet done.

The module:


Now to try and practice in preparation for a planned jam this coming weekend.



Proposal for Wiquwi BugBrand Modular Two Frame Set up.
The above is what I am trying to achieve on my BugBrand Modular, of course this will be on a long term basis as the modules are really hard to obtain especially some of the highly coveted modules like the PT delay. These modules are always are kept by their original owners and are hardly put up for sale. And after opening up myself in the Trading post of the bug users, it is much more viable to buy pre used modules as the price is a lot more attractive particularly when buying multiple modules. The above configuration is updated with the acquired modules blacked out for reference on the progress of the system.

The JANUS Synthesizer
As the other half of my system I am planning to have an additional two frames where I will be building my own modules from component kits and DIY pcb offering in the Muffwiggler Forums. The processes of me stuffing a few PCB’s have started and I have just finished two PCB’s this weekend, namely the Jerkster and Double Well Chaos Generator from Ian Fritz. They were ordered from Bridechamber together with the component. It was a bit of a challenge as I needed to identify the resistor values. This is a foreign territory for me and I am finding it quite exciting to navigate a totally different terrain.
Jerkster and Double Well Chaos Generator:
I made a few mistakes on the double well and will be redoing some of the parts before asking my friend Dougall to help me. The special ten turn tapered pots are also ordered and awaiting for the final invoice.
The LFO done by my friend Dougall:
There are a few more PCB’s coming my way namely the Bindubba 1 and the Random Looping Sequencer. This and the paneling of the LFO and the Chaos Generators will keep me busy for this month.
Looks like the DIY backlog is still on check.

The power module that will be incorporated in the case

Another thing that needs to be considered is the enclosure for the system.
I have been toying with the idea of incorporating the design of the PAIA 4761 cabinet design.
This is a clamshell like enclosure that houses two frames on each side, although the powering of each all the modules on one side might be the issue.
In any case I just love the look of an old PAIA cabinet.